film and material

Elle in film 01

I recently had the pleasure of doing a photoshoot on film for the first time in my life. I guess I wasn't particularly old school as I used a digital camera to set it up and do some of the shooting. But after I thought we were set to go I used a medium format film camera for the main shots.

Elle in film 01

My concept for the shoot was to work with loads of interesting textured material and turn it into an outfit for Elle from Mustard. I bought a good 15 meters of this stuff in a couple of different colours. It was picked for it's texture as I knew I'd be shooting it in black and white on the film camera. Huge respect to Ashley Cover who was styling the shoot and made a dress out of the mass of cloth with just a few pins and a damn good head for fashion. Make up and hair was done by the awesome Christelle Pellecuer, and it looked great as always. These two are starting to become my go to team for shoots - they are really chilled and love getting involved. Just as importantly they tell me when things are good and when they are not.

I really enjoyed shooting on the slow and clunky medium format film camera, it made me slow down and analyse everything I was doing. It made the shoot more planned and a bit less spontaneous, but I still found it great fun. I also loved printing the images in the darkroom the next day - it's impossible to show online how good these look on 8x10 matt paper with the awesome deep blacks and shadows detail that it gave.

A huge thanks to Niall and Matt for being my film technical assistants, I couldn't have done it without you.

Here's some of the digital versions that I took in a prolonged set up.

_MG_9147.jpg

_MG_9154-Edit.jpg_MG_9151-Edit.jpg


--------------------
Visit my website
Follow me on facebook
Follow me on twitter

Labels: , , , , , ,