Ruth and Dennis Wilson for the Sunday Times Magazine

IMG_3962-Edit

If you open The Sunday Times magazine today you will come across an incredible story about a poet and Second World War veteran and a Golden Globe winning actress. I had the pleasure to take their portrait.

The “Relative Values” is a weekly feature of The Sunday Times Magazine about two relatives and their relationship. When I got a call to photograph Ruth and Dennis B Wilson who only found out they were related less than a decade ago, I had no idea what to expect. I won’t give away too much of that story, but I can tell you it’s a “straight-from-a-spy-novel” one.

I met Ruth and Dennis on a day when their large family was organising a gathering at Ruth’s parents’ place in Warminster. The house was busy and they were both excited to see each other. In the hustle and bustle I had only a short moment to take a portrait which would tell you something about their relationship.

A relationship is a great thing to photograph. When I work with just one sitter often I am in the leading position: coming up with ideas, giving directions, encouraging my subject to reveal themselves to me for the best image possible. Relationships are different - they simply happen. There will be an ambient around two people who know one another without anyone trying. The conversation will flow, the stories are there, the relatives are relaxed in their own surroundings and company. As a photographer my job was almost not to interfere here - I can take a backseat, watch two people being themselves around each other and … snap: a relationship captured in a still frame.


IMG_3924-Edit
IMG_3753
IMG_3812

Labels: , , , , , , , ,