"Matt can you punch Tim in the face again please?" - 21st century cavemen for the Sunday Times Magazine

IMG_8518-Edit

A while ago I was a teenage boy and I used to question how manly I was quite a lot. Then I grew up, started working and stopped worrying about such things. So it was rather strange to be standing in a field with three other men discussing the “spear” points that I had gained that week from manly activities.


I was on a shoot with the Sunday Times writer Matt Rudd who was learning from Tim Samuels how to be a modern man. Or more precisely a modern caveman. Tim, is rather an expert on being a man - in fact he has quite literally written the book about it. He says that men are built for hunting and gathering and that modern life just doesn’t supply us with a chance these kinds of activities. So we were there to learn from him how we could claim back manhood as Tim took Matt through some testosterone filled activities.


We cut up trees with massive saws and axes - which certainly does improve how manly you feel. I then asked Matt and Tim to hit each other in the face - not something that I can regularly do on shoots. This was part of a boxing class where they were surrounded by men doing yoga poses. The modern caveman, it seems, hits other men but also does yoga. We then finished off in a proper pub with a pint of beer discussing the day's events.

The day made me reconsider how much time I spent doing activities that allow me to be a man - that let me release my aggression in a sensible way. The things I did a lot more of as a teenage boy and just stopped doing when I started having to work for a living. I’m looking forward to tallying up my “spear” points in the future and discovering I am now more of a man than I used to be.

Thanks to the Sunday Times Magazine for the fun commission. Read the article here: LINK

Matt Rudd Man STM14997-Edit
Matt Rudd Man STM15200-Edit
Matt Rudd Man STM15426-Edit_Export

Labels: , , , , , , ,